4 Oct 2013

Derbyshire Walk.


We had a lovely day walking in Derbyshire this week.  It was fairly overcast but warm and dry.  I loved looking at the trees taking on their golden autumn cloaks, seeing the various berries springing forth on the bushes and inhaling that clean, fresh air that threatens but doesn't quite deliver a frost.



We had an act of kindness extended to us that is sadly rare nowadays.  Hubby and I had left our usual maps/compass behind and decided to follow a walk we’d seen online.  We meandered through some delightful woods, following a bubbling, remarkably clean river before coming unexpectedly to a road: the web site had misdirected us!

A kindly older gentleman hailed us and asked whether we were lost.  We explained that whilst we had a general idea of where we were, it wasn't where we’d intended to go.  The gentleman not only directed us back to where we needed to be but volunteered his phone number so that we could call him if we found ourselves off-track again.  We were complete strangers to this person and yet he happily offered his number , trusting us not to abuse that offer.  We didn’t need it, as hubby and I are experienced walkers but the gentleman’s kindness touched me.


Later that day, we were sat outside a pub enjoying a drink and the late afternoon sunshine.  We were the only customers.  The barmaid came out and told us that she needed to close but wanted to offer us the use of her restroom facilities before she did.  A small thing, maybe.  However, had she closed without us realising, I would've had to either find another establishment or sat with my “legs crossed” for the drive home.  Her small act of thoughtfulness ensured that I had a comfortable journey.


Likewise, I had to phone the G.P’s surgery for a relative this week.  I have grown accustomed to the brusque and robot-like voices of so many receptionists, who answer the phone and direct me through to the required extension … often before I’ve even had time to complete the sentence leaving my mouth!  When I made this phone call however, the lady was so warm and kind that I felt once more like a real person:  I wasn't just another caller on the factory-conveyor belt of her job.  She even noted and called me by name.  It took her no longer to complete the call than had she imitated a robot, like so many do but her friendliness made the experience much easier and more pleasant for me.


We are all capable of small kindnesses and giving thought to others.  It doesn't take a lot but could mean a real difference to the person that we direct it to: it might just warm that person’s heart to find someone that cares or it could make a real difference to their level of comfort or the happiness of their day.

Wouldn't the world be a nicer place if we all tried to be kinder and watched out for each other?






No comments:

Post a Comment